So why should you build your personal brand?
The long and the short – it can simply open up professional opportunities for you. Becoming the go-to person in your niche or industry and enabling people to identify you is half the battle.
Think of an estate agent – a successful one will have a recent professional profile picture and will have built a solid reputation (brand) over the years. This ‘brand’ that they have created can be the difference between making a sale, or not. You have to ask yourself: “Do I trust this person, and to be honest, do I like the look of them?”
So here are 5 tips on how to build that all important personal brand.
- Your brand should be a true reflection of who you really are. Generally, people are good judges of character, so do not try to be something you are not.
- Get out there and get your message heard. Engage people in conversation and earn their trust. Be confident and don’t be afraid to have an opinion.
- Build your online presence. Make sure you know how you are appearing online and where you’re appearing. How do you come across in your social media profiles? Are they fully fleshed out with all your information? Do they make you look professional? Are you using a high quality profile image? Are you interacting with others and sharing their content? To be effective on social media, you have to be engaged and social!
- If you want to be seen as an expert it’s imperative that you stay up-to-date with the latest changes and trends. Write about your findings and share this knowledge, and don’t be scared to have an opinion. Remember to be open about your shortcomings too, this will enable people to relate to you and see that you are only human.
- Have a story to tell. Build up your credibility and network yourself in appropriate circles. Being able to put a name to a face is always an added bonus so make sure you get out there and make an impression.
Although lots of things have changed in our tech savvy world, one thing hasn’t and that’s the saying ‘First Impressions Count’. Personal branding is a major component today, whether it’s because you are applying for a new job or you simply need to boost sales. If your profile image is not up to date and professional, then that first impression may count against you!